Someone wrote in [personal profile] alexseanchai 2012-02-26 10:32 pm (UTC)


Quote: A license is needed to play a radio within earshot of customers?

Any shop in Ireland, and even many buses (seriously!) have a sticker in the window saying something about music being licensed by IMRO (Irish Music Rights Organisation). Some of these (especially cafes, may be playing from their own CD player. Most are playing a radio.

When I was in Transition Year in school, I did my work experience in the local radio station. One thing they had to do was send a list off to IMRO of all the music snippets they'd used in broadcast advertisements over the past year. IMRO then passed the money on to the various copyright holders. That's how it works.


Post a comment in response:

Anonymous (will be screened)
OpenID (will be screened if not validated)
Identity URL: 
Account name:
If you don't have an account you can create one now.
HTML doesn't work in the subject.


If you are unable to use this captcha for any reason, please contact us by email at

Notice: This account is set to log the IP addresses of everyone who comments.
Links will be displayed as unclickable URLs to help prevent spam.